In response to COVID-19, Immigrant Services Guelph-Wellington closed our offices and quickly began to offer service from home. Since then, our settlement team has successfully been serving clients by phone and virtually. Online Community Connections programs including English Conversation Circles, Cooking Around the World and craft classes were developed to keep us engaged and connected while practising physical distancing. In June we began offering our workshops online, including an Orientation to Ontario webinar, Refugee Sponsorship Training and COVID-19 information sessions.
Now we are pleased to welcome clients back to the office for limited, in-person settlement appointments, language assessments and workshops (with a maximum of 5 clients). We have made some changes to ensure the safety of clients and staff.
What are we doing to keep everyone safe?
- Limiting the number of clients and staff in the office at a time;
- Asking screening questions of anyone who has an in-person appointment;
- Encouraging physical distancing through signage, directional markers;
- Installing a protective barrier at the reception desk;
- Installing protective barriers on counsellor’s desks;
- Ensuring access to hand sanitizer at the reception desk;
- Implementing frequent cleaning and sanitizing throughout the day;
- Using e-transfer to collect payment for translations;
- Asking clients to exit through our back door;
- Continuing telephone and virtual appointments;
- Continuing online workshops.
How should you prepare for an in-person appointment?
- Stay home if you feel unwell. Your appointment will be rescheduled.
- Arrive on time for your scheduled appointment;
- Practise physical distancing, follow the new directional signs;
- Wear a mask or face covering;
- Practise hand hygiene, wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizer, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to support your settlement needs in unusual circumstances. With support and knowledge, we can get through this difficult time together.
Client Screening Questions in Other Languages (click language to download)